Tuesday, August 12, 2008

What's Your Twinkie?

I had to miss group practice today so I could travel from Chicago to DC for work. :( One of the reasons I joined TNT was for the "T"eam part of the training but sometimes duty calls and so I was off to DC when I could have been off to CP (Central Park). In order to not fall behind, I ran my workout on the treadmill in the hotel gym. Fortunately for me, it was equipped with an individual television so I could at least be entertained while I ran on a revolving wheel like a hamster.

My channel of choice was playing back to back "Family Guy" episodes. In case, you've never heard of it, it's one of the funniest animated shows on television. I'm into my second mile when I realize that I've seen the episode already and it's oddly appropriate. Peter tries to get Chris to lose weight by running but Chris doesn't want to run, nor can he really. Peter being the genius he is sticks a plunger on his forehead with a twinkie tied to the other end and you watch Chris try to "catch" the twinkie for the remainder of the episode (other things happen too but they're not relevant here). This got me thinking about motivation and what my "twinkie" was or is. Here is my list.

Possible "Twinkies" for running:
1- Losing weight (x - actually gained weight from training/eating for training so that's not going to work)
2-Being able to run for the subway, up the stairs, or out the door without getting winded (definitely exciting but I don't remember that when I have to go train)
3-Raising $$ for TNT (of course! but I could also do that through tri-athalons, century rides, or just plain fundraising...don't forget to visit the link to the donation page :) http://pages.teamintraining.org/nyc/nikesf08/round2fight)
4-Runners high - this has to be it but I'm going to need to run a lot more and a lot longer to sustain it :)

What's your twinkie? (post your comments) :)

No comments: